2 years ago
Monday, February 1, 2010
#i8this - Monday
Red Lentil Soup with Mustard Greens
2 to 3 cups mustard greens
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups chopped onions
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 celery stalks, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
1 ½ cups rinsed red lentils
6 cups water
½ teaspoon thyme
½ teaspoon oregano
½ teaspoon basil
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon sea salt, or to taste
lemon juice or umeboshi vinegar, to taste
1. Wash greens and cut or strip leaves from stalks. Discard stalks. Coarsely chop the leaves and set them aside.
2. In a heavy bottomed soup pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 10-15 minutes, until golden and sweet. Meanwhile, chop carrots and celery.
3. Add cumin to onions and stir for another 1 to 2 minutes until cumin smells fragrant. Add carrots, celery, lentils, water, thyme, oregano, basil, turmeric and bay leaf and bring to a boil. Turn heat to medium-low and simmer, partially covered, for 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.
4. When lentils are creamy looking, add the salt and chopped mustard greens. Simmer, covered, for about 10 minutes, until greens are tender.
5. Adjust seasonings, adding a squeeze of lemon juice or umeboshi vinegar.