Friday, January 29, 2010

After the Party its the After Party - ZenTri Camp



"then finally she went out into the rain
carrying her bicycle chain
and her feet were the pedals
while her appetite steered" - Ani Difranco

The camp was so super awesome. I'm psyched because people are already signing up for next year. When the camp ended on Monday we still had an entire week of Texas left. When Tuesday came it was time to throw myself under the wheel of the training machine, sacrifice myself to the training gods... and it all started with a stupid fight. On very rare occasion I bite at people with my words. When I do, it stops people because its uncharacteristic of me, but its also pretty funny because it usually involves bratty foul language that gets me NOWHERE. So on Tuesday John and I were headed out for a ride together and he said "I know you can do this, I'm going base pace". Okay. I've gone riding with him before, no big deal. "But, if you get dropped don't worry... just follow the map". Suddenly I had to admit that I didn't have a copy of the map because I'm still such a beginner I think everyone else is going to do everything for me. ALSO, the map that I didn't have listed turns as "south" or "east" rather than left or right. FORGET IT. So I had a meltdown (that involved some terrible potty language) about feeling like I was dropped 5 mins into the ride and I turned around, pedaling back to the house to whine and go to bed. It was 75 degrees and sunny. I'm such an asshole.

It turns out that was the BEST thing that could have happened. A friend pointed out to me "you're not a crier" and he was right. I did some research (after a short nap) and got back out there to explore on my own. This was a HUGE step for me. I haven't been riding alone very much because I'm directionally challenged (I can't even trace my own steps) and I don't feel confident about taking care of basic bike issues. I've changed a flat successfully, even a rear-wheel flat, but the last time I tried it didn't go well. So lifting up my skirt and grabbing myself by the bike shorts was exactly what I needed to do.

That day I explored for only 2 hours and found the "Ride of Guru" which was the tail end of the "Ride of Truth" as an out and back. From there I was able to get on my bike, alone, every day in Texas to ride and explore and build up my confidence. Come Saturday, the boys were planning to do the Ride of Truth again but turning it into a century ride. I wanted to tag along... badly... but I didn't want to impose on them. I thought they might have goals for pacing that I wouldn't be able to keep up with. But they invited me along anyway! Not only that, they made me feel super comfortable about the plan. It turns out I AM *pretty awesome* and was able to go faster, more easily, than I thought. John kept saying "I knew you could do this". Yay! It was an awesome day and an even awesomer week :)

Tuesday: 2 hr ride/ yoga
Wednesday: 5 hr ride
Thursday: 3 hr ride/ 45 min run
Friday: 90 min ride
Saturday: 4.5 hour ride
Sunday: 2 hr run

I am completely in love with Texas. Emily and I got pierced on Saturday night to celebrate the camp and our visit and just to do something memorable. I got my nose pierced and she got her belly button pierced. Next year we'll have to top that... any suggestions?

4 comments:

lost78 said...

You love Texas, but that's only because you haven't met Iowa.

http://ragbrai.com/index.php/about/

Amy (2for1) said...

Duh, tattoo sleeves!

HolisticGuru said...

Charlie,

Someday I will meet Iowa. I don't know when, I don't know how...

HolisticGuru said...

Amy,

I was actually thinking maybe I'll wait to tattoo myself until the next time I'm in TX. Or maybe we'll just do green spikey mohawks. I can't decide.