Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Why not try the NYC Tri AND the Brooklyn B'un???

Coraline and John cheering on TC athletes at the finish of NYC Tri 2011
I got to spend some time with the female champion, Laurel Wassner, of the 2011 NYC Tri this past weekend at TriStar Nevis and it got me thinking about the NYC Tri.  It is an event that attracts some of the best in triathlon.  That said, it's also an event that is perfect for anyone interested in trying their first olympic triathlon.

The swim is known for the current that assists swimmers through the Hudson quickly to T2.  After racing Beach 2 Battleship with a 52 minute ironman swim in 2011, I really learned to appreciate the power of an "assisted" swim.  The current is also perfect for triathletes who aren't strong swimmers or are nervous about swimming.  You can literally just lay there and float to a swim PR!  The bike is hilly enough to be challenging, though not overwhelming in the least.  And the run is in Central Park and full of spectators cheering wildly as you finish!  I spectated at this race last year and I hope to participate one day.

This year I'll be supporting Team Continuum athletes as they race, just like last year.  I've said it before but its worth saying again - Team Continuum holds a special place in my heart because of the work they do to raise money for people battling cancer, to help them pay their non-medical bills.  I don't know what my family would have done without this type of assistance when my dad had stage 4 throat cancer.

If YOU are interested in racing the NYC Tri, Team Continuum has spots available.  Even better, Team Continuum is offering FREE entry into the Brooklyn Bun Duathlon on 4/15 so that you can get started racing now!  That's two races with only one fundraising commitment.  Contact Letty: letty@teamcontinuum.net to discuss the *negotiable* terms for fundraising.

I'll see you out at the races!!!

No comments: