Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Curried Lentil Soup


I always make soups when I'm short on time because I'm WAY into the one pot thing.  It's faster, it's easier... you just throw all that stuff in there and mix it sometimes (while you do your core workout).

This is my latest obsession.  I found the recipe in Triathlete Magazine, so maybe this is old news to you.

Curried Lentil Soup

8 cups water
2T coconut oil, divided
3 cups red lentils (rinse repeatedly and drain)
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt (I used sea salt)
3 cans coconut milk (I used 2 + 1/2 can water to make it less decadent)
2 tsp roasted cumin seeds
1 large onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minsed (I used a million)
4 tsp fresh ginger, minced
3 tsp ground turmeric
3 tsp curry powder
1 large bunch of kale, washed and chopped

1.  Combine the water, a Tbsp of coconut oil, lentils and salt into a large pot.  Bring to a boil then simmer for 20-25 minutes.  Add the coconut milk and continue to simmer gently.

2.  Heat a dry frying pan over high heat.  Add cumin seeds and roast for 2-3 minutes until they start to smell fragrant.  Then add a Tbsp coconut oil to the pan and add onion.  Sweat the onions for 2-3 minutes on medium-high heat and add the garlic and the rest of the spices to the pan.

3.  Cook until the onions are brown and then add the entire contents of the pan to the soup.  Add the chopped kale and simmer for 5 more minutes.  Enjoy!

* This recipe makes a huge amount of soup that tastes even better the next day!



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've always been a huge fan of lentils and curry. So this dish is a winner!