Saturday, December 4, 2010

Life Reckoning and Lentil Burgers

(Red Lentil Burger -recipe below- Photo by @mollybermea)


In order to kick off tri training on the right foot, I've decided to go "iron-monk" as John calls it. This isn't quite iron-monk though. It's more an early base season thingy. It's a reckoning. I started last Sunday by organizing my tri gear and whatnot so that I can get ready for a ride in less than 1 full hour (that's pretty much how long it took last weekend). I'm not really talking about a cleanse here. This is more of an emotional organizing and centering exercise. It's about routine.

For the next 20 days (until Christmas Eve)

Eating:

- mostly vegan diet, with fish or eggs added, as needed
- one "treat" per day
- mostly tea, occasional coffee

Exercise/training:

- yoga each morning (of my choice OR the Tibetan Rites)
- light tri training (1-2 bikes per week, 2 or more runs per week)
- weight pile (2x per week)
- core (3x per week)
*This sounds like a lot but most are very short workouts and the routine is the point I want to focus on

Mental cleansing/self-care:

- read 1 book per week (which I love to do, so this is about making the time)
- 1 evening date per week with MYSELF
- cut down on some distractions (blackberry) when I could be quietly reflecting (like when I'm on a bus ride across town)

Its pretty simple and its how I like to live. John is spending December focused on training so he's pleased that my "reckoning" will roll over onto him. And here is a lentil burger recipe I plan to use this weekend:

Red Lentil Burgers

2 cups red lentils, washed and drained
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
3 cups water
1/4 tbsp dried basil
1/4 tbsp cumin
1/8 tbsp turmeric
1/8 tbsp thyme
2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
1 tbsp umeboshi vinegar (or rice vinegar)

1. In a pot, sauté the onion, garlic and cilantro. Add lentils and water and bring to a boil. Add basil, cumin, turmeric, thyme, tamari soy sauce and umeboshi vinegar. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
2. Uncover, stir and cover again for 10 mins. Stir and simmer vigorously uncovered for 3 more minutes. It will look mushy because red lentils lose their shape when cooking.
3. Place lentils in a bowl in the fridge to cool.
4. When cool form burgers. Broil, or pan fry to serve.

2 comments:

Molly said...

mmm this makes me dream of summer. I ate red lentils today but just plain. I might have to make these next week for lunch! :)

Sirkku said...

your plan for the month sounds wonderful :) and the lentil burgers, too! I think I overdosed on lentils a few years back during a phase where I tried all possible sorts available in my local organic market (we ate lentils several times a week for quite some time!!) and have not cooked them myself that much since - this inspires me to start again :D