Monday, April 19, 2010

#i8this Challenge - Day 3

Firstly, I tweeted an offer for a free consult the other day. I'm supporting another health counselor by having her observe the call to learn about my style of counseling. I got TONS of responses. Like, woah. Of course I wanted to offer it to everyone and of course I can't, so I decided to offer to anyone interested, a $30 phone consult (normally $75) if you schedule it before #i8this ends next Sunday, April 25th. Email me at christine@liveandeatbetter.com if you're interested :)

And moving on... I got some great responses from people who were mindfully eating fruit after the last post. Here are a couple of awesome pics that were tweeted:

This one was tweeted by @SamanthaUF. Aside from being hilarious, it's a great example of an awesome breakfast.

And...

This one was tweeted by @LilMsSweets. This is a great evening sweet snack. Have you ever eaten a raisin slowly and mindfully? They're pretty delicious.

And now for MY #i8this update. Saturday morning we drove to the Home For Wayward Triathletes (HFWT) to train and hang with some of our best buds. We rode the Quassy Rev3 course and now I'm even more excited to race it. You can check out John's wicked cool review of it here. It was fun doing #i8this with the group and talking about our different goals and supporting each other. On Sunday we did a 4-mile hilly running race. It was my first chance to test out my running pace after feeling like I've been dragging for a couple of weeks. I finished in 29:59 which is a 7:30 pace and I felt great. I could have held that for a few more miles, for sure. John won the race overall and Phil came in 6th.

After leaving the HFWT we went home to cook and eat some of our stockpiled organic produce. I love having a fridge full of that stuff. I ended up making my typical pre-race meal: brown rice pasta with sauteed garlic and greens. John requested more veggies and protein so we added broccoli, carrots and kidney beans. It was delicious and only took about 20 mins. Don't be fooled by this being my race day eve dinner. I would eat it any other time with more of the focus on extra veggies, though I would leave out the extra veggies and kidney beans BEFORE a race to avoid GI issues from the added fiber.

(We had some issues with our cameras so it's not a great pic. That's a candle lit lamp from Granada in the background)


Guru's Pre-Race Pasta

brown rice pasta
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 bunch swiss chard (or any other leafy green)
3 carrots (optional)
1 head of broccoli
1 can organic kidney beans, drained (optional)
olive oil
salt and pepper to taste

1. Start cooking the pasta.
2. Saute the garlic in olive oil until golden, then add carrots, then broccoli. Saute for 2 mins.
3. Add the chard to the veggies and saute until soft and vibrant (some greens may need a pre-cook).
4. Combine the pasta with the veggies and kidney beans.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Samantha @OTSam said...

I stumbled across your blog mostly due to @JamesonBull and the #i8this challenge.
So I love pasta.. love love pasta, and I've tried to switch over to more healthy choices, so I tried the whole wheat pasta and the chick pea pasta, they are ok. I saw your pre-race meal which included brown rice pasta, I've never heard of it!
Can you get it at general grocery stores? Or would it be easier to find at Whole Foods? How does it compare to the whole wheat or chick pea pasta? I'm curious and would love to try it, hoping that this would be a good replacement! :-)

HolisticGuru said...

Samantha,

I'm glad Jamie introduced you to the blog and #i8this! It's been a lot of fun :)

Brown rice pasta is excellent. The texture isn't too course like some whole wheat pasta and its not slimey like you may expect a rice noodle to be. You can get it at Whole Foods, definitely. I would also recommend trying quinoa pasta. You'll find both types in the pasta section at Whole Foods.

I've never actually tried chick pea pasta... I'll have to check it out!

toryburch said...

tory burch バッグは近年にますます多くの女性に支持されています。その優れた外観がはるか驚き、トリーバーチ 長財布より多くの人の目を引き付けることができます。ファッションでシックなデザインは自分用にはもちろん、tory burch 財布 大切な恋人へのプレゼントにも最適ですよ。